Wednesday 20 June 2012

Tomato soup try-outs!

I hate tomatoe soup. After a team meeting where we talked about how to not be prejudiced against a recipe (roughly) and try things out and have a new perspective, I went home to try this out. I bought a whole bag of tomatoes and thought this can't be hard. It is soup season, and I can't just keep to potato and pumpkin. Exploration was called for.

Followed the EDC Tomato Soup recipe somewhat. Added my own twists: I thought it would be too slim and sour, so I added risoni (rice shaped pasta) and a can of white beans to padd it up. The beans I blended in with the cooked tomatoes and then added the risoni. I served it with soft Greek feta cheese. Have to say, it wasn't as sour as I had expected and the melted feta was delicious. But then again cheese always is!

What I do look like about this dish is that it's heartier the next day. The Risoni absorbs the flavours thoroughly and also reduces the acidity, extra sugar at the cooking stage will help too if you like a "sweeter" soup. I had my own milled pepper and put that in as well so it was quite spicy & peppery.

This works really well with the Five Seed Bread or a nice cheese scone!

Would I cook it again? Maybe not... I'm still a Potato & Leek Soup girl no matter how many I've tried. Maybe I'll take a crack at the new "purple" cauliflower - and make that into a creamy soup next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment