Friday 23 March 2012

Pumpkin & Parsnip Soup (Asian Style)

Soup is one of the easiest things to make in the TM. I mean, what could go wrong? Too much soup for too little people.

I had 1 parsnip and 1/2 a medium butternut pumpkin in the fridge, so I thought to myself on Thursday night, I could just change the EDC Pumpkin Soup recipe, a little.

Ingredients:
1 medium parsnip (peeled, chopped into 4 large pieces)
1/2 medium butternut pumpkin (peeled, chopped into large pieces)
1/2 Spanish red onion
1/2 red chilli
1cm piece of ginger (more if you prefer the taste - it's really hard to get me to eat heavy ginger flavoured dishes)
60g olive oil
1 tbspn of TM Vegetable Paste
Water (enough to fill up, up to under max mark, you can use less - depending on thickness)
2 MC of cream
Some coriander leaves (leave a few sprigs aside for presentation, should you be plating properly)

Method:
 1. TM minced and then fried: onion, red chilli, ginger (Sp 6, then fry - 3 mins, 100 C, Sp 1 to fry).
 2. Scrape down sides with spatula. Add parsnip & butternut pumpkin. The two vegetables added to about 600g. I peeled them because the butternut had been sitting in the fridge for a while, if you buy fresh leaving the peel on is fine after a good wash. (Sp 6)
 3. Add water and TM Vegetable Paste.
 4. Follow the EDC recipe for cooking time + additional 20% for the volume.
 5. Add coriander - to taste.
 6. Add 2 MC of full cream.
 7. Whiz/puree (up to Sp 9, 30sec to 1min, depending on the consistency you would like).

I added cream but if you like to make a vegan version just don't use cream. Sadly, I did this and forgot and brough a cup for Vegan Boy. LOL he didn't drink it of course, but it didn't go to waste - someone else at his work drank it.

It was quite spicy, the ginger and chilli combination really hit the throat and opens up your sinuses. I was so glad I didn't use the birdseye chillies I bought and only put 1/2 a chilli in. I also recommend to either up the speed on Step 2 to chop finer before cooking OR add additional puree time. The TM can actually create quite a smooth soup without the cream. I just love creamy soups. Coming to winter, I can see myself soup-ing a lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment