Saturday 10 March 2012

TM potato & leek soup

This is my favorite soup and despite the fact I was due to go out for dinner I still made it.

200 g of leek means 1/2 a leek, what was I suppose to do with the rest of it? So I used the whole one (whites only) and ended up with double the leek. Luckily remembering the TM bowl capacity, I did not double the water'

I doubled the potato but didn't double the onion or oil (butter). I had run out of butter - it all went into the red velvet cupcake, I had thought I'd make butter & buttermilk - leaving extra butter for soup... But due to time restrictions with the cupcake I didn't make buttermilk, so I was short butter. Used virgin love oil instead.

I forgot to +20% the cooking time for the 'frying' part. But it turned out ok.

I did +20% for the boiling/cooking time and blended for a little bit longer. I think I put a little extra TM vegetable stock paste, as mine was little less on the salt. It seemed to add quite a bit of parsley & celery taste to the end result. Must really watch out for that next time do the TM vegetable paste.

I added cream in end after blending, the mixed a little on Speed 1 to stir through the cream. You could do this to taste, depending on what you like in the texture.

Overall the soup was more leeky than usual, but still creamy and tasty! I think I shall 'fry' the leeks & onions a little more til caramelised before adding the potato & stock.

If not catering to Vegan Boy, then definitely use butter instead of olive oil, and as liquid use 1/3 to 1/2 milk instead I just water. This will help cream the potatoes and make the soup extra rich.

I forgot to buy chives for garnish - but remember people, presentation/plating is very important to the palate! If servin guests always remember to garnish and add a few drops of truffle oil ;) or truffle butter or sprinkle truffle salt on top with freshly cracked pepper.

Rating: 5 stars (despite the heavy leeky flavour, it's my favourite soup!!!)

However, I do need to work on camera skills. (iPhone 4 camera is just not enough... this is possibly the worst point to start a hobby in photography - time commitment-wise).

No comments:

Post a Comment